There are a lot of choices available when it comes to seniors housing options in Kelowna. However, when narrowed down there are three main categories of seniors housing: independent living, assisted living, and long term care. When it comes to choosing which of these options is right for you, try asking yourself these seniors-community-specific questions.
- Do I lead an active and independent life?
- Am I able to safely manage my medication and care needs?
Independent Seniors Living communities, also called 55+ communities, retirement communities, retirement homes, and senior housing, are for seniors with no big health concerns or care needs. They provide household maintenance and dining which free up time for hobbies and interests, travel, and social activities. If you are an active senior in Kelowna looking to enjoy your retirement, an independent living community in Kelowna is right for you.
- Do I need a little extra care and help with tasks like bathing and dressing?
- Has my family caregiver become worn out?
- Do mobility issues make it difficult for me to move around my home and go outside?
- Am I becoming isolated at home?
- Do I need help to safely manage my personal care and safety?
Assisted living has many of the same characteristics as independent living with additional support with tasks like grooming, bathing, and mobility challenges. Things like housekeeping, laundry, and meal service are provided in both independent living and assisted living communities, but assisted living often includes additional medication management and access to on-staff health care professionals so you can get the specific care you need. If you’re looking for a little more assistance with your day to day tasks, an assisted living community in Kelowna may be right for you.
Long Term Care
- Do I need around the clock supervision?
- Do I need 24/7 professional nursing care?
- Do I have bigger health concerns like memory loss or other medical conditions that will need around the clock care over time?
Long term care homes provide individualized medical care as well as a range of other services like dining, social programs, physical therapy and exercise, pain management, and hospice care for seniors who can no longer safely live on their own.
Finding the right retirement community can be difficult – especially where there are so many options available. Safety, wellness, and proper care should be top priority when it comes to picking your new home. We hope that this little guide will help you determine just which type of Seniors Housing in Kelowna is right for you.
For more information on independent and assisted living in Kelowna contact Orchard Gardens Seniors Community today at email@example.com or 250-979-0600 or learn more about different seniors housing options at www.vrs.org.